Journal of the Architectural Institute of Korea (JAIK)
ISSN 2733-6239(Print) ISSN 2733-6247(Online)
Journal of the Architectural Institute of Korea is included in the following Abstracting and Indexing services:
Korean Citation Index(KCI), SCOPUS
Copyright and license
A submitted manuscript, when published, will become the property of the journal. Copyrights of all published materials are owned by Architectural Institute of Korea (AIK). The Creative Commons Attribution License available from:
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/ is also in effect.
Copyright by Architectural Institute of Korea (Tel: 82-2-525-1841)
Printed by Walter Publishing Co.
29-1, Changgyeonggung-ro, Jung-gu, Seoul, KOREA (Tel: 82-2-2278-3386)
Ownership and management
Introduction of JAIK
- Since 1955, the Institute has been publishing academic journals that include theses and from 1985, the Institute has separated just the papers from the previous journal and published the “Journal of the Architectural Institute of Korea” every other month. This has been published monthly up to date for about 30 years since 1992. Since 1998, due to the increase in the number of papers published, publications have been separated into the “planning & design section” and “structure & construction section” for the first time in Korea. Since June 2020(Vol.36, No.6), it has been published without separation of fields.
- The Journal of the Architectural Institute of Korea has generally provided a variety of research information and knowledge on architecture, and contributed to the development of the architectural industry and academia. The publication field of the journal is architectural planning and design, architectural history and theory, urban planning and design, environment and facilities, building structures, materials, and construction. Hence, the journal is be published on the 30th of every month. This journal consists of original academic papers that summarize logical or experimental research findings.
External value of JAIK
- The papers of the Institute have become quite a major achievement for the professors related to architecture as domestic colleges of architecture use the number of papers published in the Journal of the Architectural Institute of Korea as a valuation basis of professors. In addition, the journal is distributed to construction sites and architectural design firms (subscribed by 106 companies), and utilized as a useful material for field engineers who are engaged in the actual field work.
- Recently, the member subscription by undergraduates and non-architecture majors has been increasing in the Institute. And the main reason for subscription is to use the original text service of the academic papers of the journal. Increase in the income from copyright fees for the original text service shows that the rate of utilization of the journal’s papers is quite high.
- The journal was ranked in second best among 5,634 academic journals in Korea in a survey for familiarity, utilization, reputation and preference of academic journals conducted by the Academic Promotion Policy Advisory Committee, an advisory body to the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology in 2013. The survey was conducted on journals in all areas based on responses from professors and researchers registered with National Research Foundation of Korea. The journal was recognized as an excellent academic journal not only in the field of architecture, but also in all academic fields. Furthermore, this journal was in 5th place in the KCI Citation Index in the entire academic field and won 1st in the KCI Citation Index of entire engineering field (as of January 2011).
Major characteristics and efforts of the JAIK
- From issue no. 1 of vol. 1 to the present issue, all of the papers carry English abstracts, and since 2015, as part of the internationalization of the journal, even the tables, figures and references have been written in English. Any Korean term which travels badly in translation, is written in Roman characters and Korean word is added in parentheses.
- Earlier than other academic societies, the Architectural Institute of Korea has developed the online paper submission system since 2002, and thus the entire process of publishing such as submission, review and editorial processes is implemented in a transparent and prompt manner.
- More than 300 papers are received every year, and the Institute has a pool of 1,500 paper reviewers. For the fairness and convenience of selecting reviewers, the Institute has a 'system for recommending reviewers', which enables the editorial committee members to recommend reviewers online and the candidates with majority’s recommendation to be selected.
- Editorial committee and reviewers are comprised of experts with extensive research experience at domestic and abroad in all fields of architecture, to ensure that excellent papers that have been rigorously reviewed with emphasis on originality, feasibility of research methods, and academic contribution are published.
- Among the papers published over a year, the Institute grants outstanding paper awards to those that are determined to be excellent based on originality and academic contribution (a total of 8 out of 200 papers are awarded). The editorial committee selects and recommends the candidate for the award. The award is granted at the annual general assembly after a meeting of the candidate screening committee for the paper, a meeting of the preliminary selection committee for the academic award, and a meeting of the selection committee for the academic award.
- Furthermore, the Institute has been exchanging the journal with foreign research-related groups such as the Architectural Institute of Japan and the Architectural Society of China, etc., and has continuously reviewed information such as research trends and the composition structure of each country's journals.